Skip to main content

Come, #EatWith Me!

If you know me, then you know I love food! And the passion for food these days has extended from not just eating good food, but making good food. This is something that has actually grown on me. Being the youngest of 4, and add to that that both my elder sisters & of course mom, are fantastic in the kitchen, I never had the need nor the urge to step in a learn to cook myself!

Indians have a long standing tradition of having 'home cooked' meals - every Indian will describe to you how they woke up to not the alarm, but the scent of the complex aromas arising from Mom's kitchen... or as a kid, you recognized your friend's home afar by your nose!

Our food is rich & diverse, just like our culture. Honestly, I have been very fortunate to have been exposed to foods from not just across India, but all over the world. Both my home towns - Mumbai, where I grew up, and Dallas, where I now live, are a melting pot of cultures from around the world. Hence, I really count myself to be so lucky to have this exposure. And add to that my love for food!

So, going back to me - yes, it's always all about me!, I've always loved to create and learn what goes behind that creation. And although, I denied myself from the art of cooking - limiting myself to being just the fortunate recipient, I have over the last few years developed a love & passion for cooking.

I also love to host! Really, my husband calls me 'Monica' from Friends - not just because uase I am crazy OCD, but I love it when I have friends over. Remeber that episode from Freinds when the guys win the aprartment in a silly bet, and Monica works non-stop to make the guys apartment 'host' ready? - Yeah - that's me! 

So, I took all three - love to cook, love to eat and love to host - and signed up with www.EatWith.com - a unique concept in dining! Only 4 % of the applicants are actually chosen as hosts, so after going through the application process I consider myself fortunate for getting approved!

A week ago, I hosted my first dinner party and going back to my roots, I cooked all my favorites that I enjoyed growing up!  Mom would be so proud :) 

My menu consisted of receipes learnt from mom & sisters. When the guests arrived, I served the food family style and had lots of fun conversations. Each dish was presented with not just how its made, but the background of it's origins or my family stories.

All in all, I think it was a great night and the guests also gave great feedback! Here are some pictures from the event - and to stay connected on future events, come check out - www.eatwith.com/@surinder








The EatWith Dinner Menu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial : How to use our Henna Stencils (Imprints)

Time and again people express their desire to be able to make mystical henna tattoo’s themselves. To master the art of henna, either you have to be a natural or you need years of practice. Not anymore! We now have stencils that you can use to trace the henna on you. These are re-usable and last upto 3-4 applications. You can purchase these individually hand-drawn stencils from our etsy store and follow the instructions below to get started on this lovely journey to the world of henna!

Although generally safe, these stencils/ imprints are made of dry ink and if you have sensitive skin or allergic to ink, wax or carbon, please use with care or do not use at all.


You will need the following items handy ; oAll About Henna Design Paper oHenna paste (in cone or jacquard bottle) oGel Deodorant like Speed Stix or Water oNapkin oQ - tips Step 1: Prepare your skin – ensure the area to be henna painted is free of oils, lotions and clean. If you have alcohol swabs available, use those to clean your ski…

Lookback at 2016!!

I've been away from this blog from quite some time... but I've decided to make a change... This New Year, I've set new goals, and one of these being a revival of this blog of mine. If things go as planned, and I stick to my resolutions, you will truly see a new me and a newer blog. My vision for this blog is to go from being a business marketing tool to a better reflection of me.

Over the last few years, AllAboutHenna has changed - growth is part of life. The business 'AllAboutHenna' was started close to 7-8 years ago. At that time, the vision was different - we had a team, a plan and then life happened. Today, AllAboutHenna still exists, but it has now become my, Surinder's baby only. I still do henna, and it will always be a part of my life and an expression of my art. Hence, the natural transition for this blog too is to be a reflection of me - my henna, my crafts, my travels and my craziness!

I love to 'hike' - I can go on long walks. The goal is t…